October 2, 2008

Ketchup in the eye (and other Silasisms)


Silas is a mess. He has been a mess since the day he was born - nearly 11 pounds through my birth canal. He is very smart, very physically adept and gets into everything. When he was a baby and toddler, he got into stuff just for the purpose of making a mess. Now that he is almost 5, he gets into things to find out what they are and how they work. He is the most curious and brave of all my three.

Jeff and I have recently considered that there should be a term for that amount of time that it takes a child to get into whatever you do not want them to get into and do the worst possible thing they can do. In our house, and if Silas is involved, it is usually about 4.6 seconds shorter than I expect - the exact amount of time it takes me to get from one end of the house to the other when I realize that I cannot hear Silas anymore.

So after school today, Silas decided he wanted a "happy meal". We brought the food home and he sat down to eat - 20 minutes before my carpool started. He got the ketchup bottle and commented on how it was "brand spanking new". He popped open the lid and took a close look to figure out how the cap worked (one of those "no spill" kinds that sucks the last drop back in so there is no spilling). When he was unable to determine the method by which the kectchup comes out, he squeezed the bottle to get a first hand demonstration. The next thing I know, there is ketchup in his eye. Unfortunately, no picture of the incident but here are a few of my favorite of Silas:

No comments: