November 21, 2008

Happy Birthday, Silas!


My big boy is five! What a wild ride these five years have been.

From the day he was born, he was his own man. Weighing nearly 11 pounds at birth, he sent the nurses scrambling to find diapers and a shirt that would fit him. A quick trip to pediatrics proved fruitful as he started his life in size 1 diapers (newborn diapers only go to 10 pounds). By the second day in the hosptial, he was "singing". When we would wrap him up and lay him down, he would hum.

The first year of his life was full of ear infections, ending in surgery and instant relief. Unfortunatley, the persistent fluid in his ears caused speech delay that persists. At 18 months, he spoke only three words and I started to think he was autistic. Obviously he is NOT! God answered my prayers for Silas to talk by giving me a boy that will not be quiet - ever! I had no idea that a child could talk so much. From a broken leg to 5 days in the hospital, Silas has been through it.

He is my strong and brave little man. Sometimes he is a frustrated lefty in a right-handed world but he is learning early that life is not always fair. He has a heart for God and loves to sing praise songs...can I ask for any more than that?

Join me on my trip down memory lane:

6 months (No digital camera at birth - sorry)

1 year old

2 years old


3 years old

4 years old

No comments: