November 29, 2008

Giving thanks for a circle of feet

We went to Beaumont for Thanksgiving to see my grandparents. Our visit also gave us an opportunity to see my dad (in from Johnson City).

My dad and Abigail

My favorite part of the trip was the "circle of feet". Have you ever been part of a group standing in a Circle to pray and opened your eyes during the prayer? What you see is the "circle of feet". Just before our Thanksgiving meal, we stood in my grandparents living room and my grandfather said our blessing. When I opened my eyes, I saw the following feet:

1. My grandfather - 86 years old, married to the love of his life for 66 years, an elder in the church for years and years. A man who loves God, loves his family and helps other people without ever expecting anything in return.

2. My grandmother - 86 years old, married to the love of her life for 66 years. A faithful, Godly woman who loves unconditionally and exemplifies what a Christian wife and mother should be.

3. My dad - 64 years old and living life simply at the LBJ National Park in Johnson City. He loves his children and grandchildren very much and never misses an opportunity to say how proud he is.

4. Jeff - my amazing husband who works tirelessly to support the kids and I without complaint. He has taken a lot of crap during his legal profession but never looses sight of the priorities in life.

5. Emma - my big girl.

6. Silas - my big boy.

7. Abigail - my sweet baby.

8. Bill and Bettye Cook - some dear family friends who live in Beaumont and go to church with my grandparents. I have many fond memories of Bill leading singing and Bettye cooking for church functions.

What a privilege it is to be able to come before the Father, as different as we are, and lay our burdens down. I am thankful for that...

1 comment:

Kim Hodges said...

You know Bettye is my great aunt? She's my grandfather Kell's little sister!