March 30, 2009

OnStar, take me away!

This was one of those days (we've all had them). Up on time and feeling good about the speed of the morning's necessary activities, I headed into the bathroom with just enough time to brush my teeth and slip on my shoes. Much to my disappointment, I was not wearing any make-up. Five minutes later I was headed to the door yelling, "HURRY UP DOES NOT MEAN JUST STAND THERE...COME ON". Into the van, buckle Abby, buckle myself, key in ignition...click...click...click. "OH, *@#%&*" (to myself of course). The van would not start. Call Stephanie (whose kids I pick up in the morning) - she comes in the blink of an eye and has Emma on her way to school. One call to OnStar and the towing company is on the way. Note to self: must leave van running for 45 minutes after "jump start".

Finally, I get the kids to school, deliver food for "teacher appreciation week" and am at work only 15 minutes late. Get coffee, do important legal work (HAHA!), everything is fine. At 1:00 I am thinking "van, please start". As I walk to the van I realize I do not have my keys. Of course, they are laying in the console - I can clearly see them through the window. One more call to OnStar, reveal super-secret code to "agent" on other end of call, van doors are open. YEAH!

So much stress has built up that I decide to make cookies "for the kids' snack" (yeah - if you've ever met me you know that I eat to relieve stress). The mixer is on and Silas is in the living room playing Wii saying something about the "studs" or "power packs". Who knows? I can't hear him. So I respond with what I believe to be an appropriate phrase.

Thank you, Silas, for bringing me back to the real world
and back to what is really important.

He says, "no, mommy...that was not a time to say 'whoa, baby', that was a time to say, 'oh, man'". Without any hint of having his feelings hurt he goes back to playing Wii and leaves me thinking that I should worry less about things outside of my control and worry more about hearing the "important" things around me.

1 comment:

Kim Hodges said...

Next time just ask Silas, "What am I supposed to say?" Johnathan's really good to tell me. ;) So sorry about your car trouble!