January 1, 2011

Charlotte Elizabeth

Charlotte Elizabeth Rambin arrived on December 20, 2010 at 2:30 p.m. She weighed 7 lbs., 7 oz. and was 20 inches long. She was born at 35 weeks but is doing very well.

This pregnancy was supposed to be the easiest yet. After our loss in the spring, we had lots of questions about whether or not we would be able to have another baby. The question was answered quickly, though, when I was able to get pregnant the first month. My new OB watched me so closely from the beginning that we had lots of details this time. Once it was determined that the pregnancy was where it was supposed to be and growing properly, we sighed a sigh of relief.

My first trimester went smoothly - other than the morning sickness. There was some concern about my progesterone level, but that seemed to solve itself. I continued to work, take care of the kids and nap whenever I could. The second trimester was a welcome change - the morning sickness went away and I felt really good. I had been referred to a high-risk OB in Dallas (because of my "advanced maternal age") but was released at 18 weeks because the baby and I were too healthy to be seen in the high-risk office. I was incredibly thankful and relieved.

At 24 weeks, everything changed. I started having physical symptoms that were not familiar to me as "normal pregnancy" symptoms. My doctor ran a few tests and I was quickly diagnosed with pre-eclampsia (a syndrome only in pregnancy that presents as high blood pressure and protein in the urine). I was hospitalized 4 times in the two weeks following the diagnosis to get the symptoms under control and receive medication to mature Charlotte's lungs in case she had to be delivered early.

When I wasn't in the hospital - I was on bed rest. I was told I could get up to go to the bathroom, take one shower a day and heat a plate of food. I wasn't supposed to do anything else. My first thought when my doc prescribed bedrest - No really! Be real! I have three kids and a job. It was quickly apparent, though, that any time I was not laying down or reclining, my blood pressure would go up causing blood and oxygen to the baby to be restricted. So I took it seriously...for 12 weeks! I found out that bedrest is one of those things that sounds good until you have to do it. Then you find out it is boring and lonely and hard on your body.

Thanks be to God for my church family at Glenwood. They took care of me and my family in so many ways: meals every other day, grocery shopping, errand running, carpooling, babysitting, housekeeping and most importantly, prayers. We were completely covered in prayer. In the midst of all the stress and questions, my church family calmed the storm. I feel incredibly blessed and eternally grateful.

At 35 weeks, my blood pressure jumped up and the doctor decided it was time for Charlotte to be delivered. While it was stressful to think about having a preemie, we were very glad to have made it to 35 weeks. She was born with out any issues and was able to go home with me from the hospital.

Stay tuned...next time I'll tell you about Charlotte's jaundice!

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I'm so thankful that you and your family are doing well now. Charlotte is just precious.