June 30, 2009

Homesick

Have you ever been homesick? Well, I have and it stinks. Especially as a child, homesickness is more than just a feeling - it takes on physical forms like stomach ache and tears.

Emma is in Nachogdoches for the week (going to day camp with her cousin, Thad) and she had a bout of homesickness yesterday. When we spoke on the phone, she was in tears - ready to come come. In fact, she had already packed her bag! As it was early afternoon, I told her that Abby was asleep and I could not go anywhere until she woke up. I assured her that I would make a plan with Jeff's mom and call back when Abby was awake.

Thankfully, Bonnie was a 2nd grade teacher for many years and understands the emotions and outbursts of 8 year olds. As it turns out, a bit of distraction and fun solved the problem and Emma stayed without having to call again.

Thank you, God for loving grandmothers!

Meanwhile, back here in Tyler, I had two smaller children who were anxious to get in a running sprinkler (after nearly 2 hours in the pool)...



No comments: